I'm a firm believer in not treating Logan and Madelyn like "idiot children" who supposedly have no clue. I always explain things in great detail to Logan (doctor's visits or new babies joining the family for example), and so far, it's worked out great - he is never scared or lashes out in any way when the time for these events happens.
We had to take Madelyn for her first "shots" (vaccinations). I started explaining to Logan in great detail what was going to happen a couple of days beforehand so that he didn't think we were hurting his baby sister. All through supper, I went over it again, explaining that she was going to cry, but she was okay. When it was time for him to get dressed to go, he told me that "Daddy's going to get a gun ... and we shoot Madelyn!" .... note to self: choose better words lol. He said it believing this was the best thing for her, so she wouldn't get sick. I had originally called them shots, but realized as the word slipped out that that was not the right way to describe it to a kid who is sooo into shooting lately. We began referring to them as "pokes" or "needles" after that.
Dave had the honors of holding Madelyn still while the nurse poked her, and Logan stood next to him for about 2 seconds and then quickly came over and sat in my lap, and sobbed into my cheek the whole time Madelyn was crying. Poor guy, he really loves his little sister. The nurse gave him a tambourine to distract her once she was done, and he was so proud of himself for being the one who made her stop crying. And, to test the theory, when he stopped playing and she started crying again, he shook that tambourine again and she quieted down again (holy - did I just use "again" three times in one sentence?).
In the van on the way home I asked him why he was crying, and he explained very sadly that he didn't like the "doctor" (nurse) hurting Madelyn. I really can't wait to see these two grow up together :)
Choose Your Words Wisely
Friday, January 16, 2009Posted by Risidore Family at 8:13 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment