Tales from 4 Busy Rizzy's

December Update

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another month has flown by, and it's been a busy one at that. I've had a bit more time to get things done now that Madelyn doesn't need to be attached to me 24/7. We have a pretty good routine going, and she still cluster feeds in the evenings, but not as bad as before. She does get crankier at night, but is usually asleep by 10. I will go to bed at the same time and we sleep until 3 or 330am, and then again from 5 until about 730. It's nice because I can get her fed and almost back down for a nap by the time Logan wakes up at 9, so that him and I can have breakfast together and play until lunchtime. Madelyn has gone through a few new things this month: her first cold, a blocked tear duct and baby acne that broke out over her entire face. She's almost back to normal now, just a couple of dry patches that are getting better each day. As of last Friday, she was up to 11 1/2 lbs and has the cutest little rolls on her thighs. She is super smiley all the time, even when she first wakes up. But, she's got the same pout that Logan had as a baby - the one that breaks my heart. :)

Logan has FINALLY decided that a new year means new things. Out with the old, in with the new. We're on day 4 of dry daytime diapers. YAHOO YIPPEE WOOHOO WOOT WOOT!! It was like a light switch went off and he figured it out. On the first day, he stayed in the same diaper for the whole day (even through naptime) and ever since then, he's been in the big boy underwear that we bought him ages ago (we put him in a diaper for naptime and at night). The other night, he got up at 11 and told Dave he had to pee, and then again first thing this morning, so he only had a damp diaper from overnight, not a huge soaking one!! He has made this soooo easy, and I'm glad I fought the urge to glue him to the potty until he figured it out (and probably caused some trauma in the process) and just waited for him to be ready. We do reward him with mini marshmallows, but only if he asks - if he doesn't say anything, then I don't give it, and every day that he stays dry, we put a big star on the calendar. Tomorrow, we're going to take him to pick out his very own underwear to wear from now on. I can't believe my baby is so grown up now (although I will not miss changing his diapers). He LOVES his underwear (in fact he wanted to hold it at naptime and even put it under his pillow), and cries when I tell him we have to put a diaper on. I hope I'm not jinxing this by announcing his achievements, but even if we have a few accidents, I don't think we'll be going back to diapers permanently.

He's still growing like a weed, and is talking like crazy. I thought I could get away with buying him size 3 shirts at the beginning of the season (and have them last until Spring), but he is rapidly outgrowing them. I ordered him a bunch of size 3 shirts from a different store (they fit bigger) and some size 4-5 shirts for when he outgrows those, although I'm hoping they'll last until next fall lol. He's about a pound away from technically being able to move over to a booster seat, but I'm not sure I'm ready. He's growing up too fast, and there is nothing like adding a new baby to the family to make you realize just how much he has grown in his short 2.5 years and how quickly he continues to grow.

Christmas was wonderful. We hosted Christmas day breakfast at our house and everyone gathered to open gifts here. Dave & I bought Logan a train set that came with it's own table (about the size of a coffee table). We stayed up until midnight on Christmas Eve setting it up, and then I wrapped it so that it would still be a surprise when he opened it in front of everyone. He was pretty excited by all the events of the few days and was enamoured by everyone singing Christmas carols. I think he thought everyone was singing to him. Madelyn fell asleep to everyone singing, but didn't stay that way for long. Everytime we got together with family, she was wide awake. We had a busy 4 days of family get togethers, and all four of us spent the afternoon on Boxing Day relaxing at home (we all met for breakfast before everyone went home). Madelyn slept in her car seat while we ate, and then for over an hour after we got home. She spent the rest of the day sleeping, only waking briefly to eat.

I have had my eye on a new camera for a few months now. I was going to treat myself when I finished my 365 project, but with a super awesome Boxing Day sale making it several hundred dollars cheaper, I splurged sooner. I got the Canon 50D and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Even Dave really likes using it. I think I'm good for a few years now ... time to build my lens collection (I can hear Dave groaning already). I think it will be a while before I buy my next lens, as the ones I want have a rather large price tag attached to them. Still not really interested in pursuing this as a career, just love it as a serious hobby. I can't wait for some warmer weather so I can get outside with my new toy.

January is going to be a busy month for us. Dave starts school on the 5th, Logan starts gymnastics on the 10th and Madelyn goes for her first shots on the 15th. My plan is to get out of the house and take Logan somewhere where he can run and play for a couple of hours each week. Hopefully our colds this month are the only ones we'll get this season.

Phew - I actually managed to get my update done in less than 24 hours this time.

From our family to yours - Wishing you a safe and Happy New Years!!

0 comments: